Thursday, August 13, 2026

Love from Liverpool

Hello friends! While between jobs, I've chosen to move to Liverpool and continue my search from here. I have loved the city ever since my first visit in May of 2024. The people are friendly, with distinctive accents. There are great parks including Sefton Park, Princes Park, Calderstones Park, Croxteth Country Park, and Speke Gardens, and it is very near the coast. Formby Nature Reserve is only about half an hour away by train. Liverpool has many museums, independent shops, galleries, and cafés, bookshops, and active libraries. There is also a strong Scandinavian connection dating back to Viking times and continuing today with the activity of the Nordic Cultural Centre based at Gustaf Adolfs Kyrka in the Baltic Triangle. This is good for me because I found a group to speak Swedish with! My house is really close to George Harrison's childhood home in Wavertree, also not too far from Penny Lane. The Magical Mystery Tour bus is a common sight. I love seeing crazy devoted Beatle fans around there and in the city centre. At the end of August it will be even crazier with International BeatleWeek. I didn't get tickets this year, but the atmosphere is free.

Beatles Statues

Port of Liverpool

Central Library

Mathew Street in the Cavern Quarter

Upside Down House 

Gustaf Adolfs Kyrka and Nordic Cultural Centre

Bold Street

Wavertree Park, my front garden

At Wavertree Park

The blue plaque is up at George Harrison's!

Magical Mystery Tour bus (a common sight)

A wonderful Oxfam on Smithdown Road

Still Out of Print on Smithdown Road
(book markets coming up soon!)

The Bluecoat

Bookshop crawl I went on this week!

Books by Aldous Huxley at Aldous Books

My new Liverpool library card!

Truly adorable knitting pattern I found thrifting

Peter Pan statue at Sefton Park
(just like Kensington Gardens!
although it could use a wash)

Carl Linnaeus at the Palm House, Sefton Park

Tea at the Palm House, Sefton Park

Palm House, Sefton Park

Sefton Park

Summer flowers at Croxteth Country Park

Bookshop at Calderstones Park

Children's books at The Reader Shop

International BeatleWeek in August

There are so many places on my list to visit around Liverpool, I'm sure you will be hearing from me soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love from Liverpool

Hello friends! While between jobs, I've chosen to move to Liverpool and continue my search from here. I have loved the city ever since m...